Wrong ways to use ladder
To prevent from being injured due to falls from various types of ladders, including extension ladders and stepladders, users are encouraged to adopt the following practices:
- DON’T stand above the second step from the top of a stepladder or the fourth rung from the top of an extension ladder.
- DON’T climb a closed stepladder.
- DON’T climb on the back of a stepladder.
- DON’T stand or sit on a stepladder top or pail shelf.
- DON’T climb a ladder if you are not physically and mentally up to the task.
- DON’T place the base of an extension ladder too close to or too far away from the building.
- DON’T over-reach, lean to one side or try to move a ladder while on it. Climb down and then reposition the ladder closer to your work.
- DON’T exceed the maximum load capacity or duty rating of a ladder.
- DON’T permit more than one person on a single-sided stepladder or an extension ladder.